Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Final Project

















Above is the finished product for my final project. I chose to make a map of my neighborhood. There were a few challenges along the way: base map files, elevation, scale, and those darn trees! The two base map files I used were parcel and road edge line files imported from ArcGIS. Even though they came from the same data source- the edges did not line up; this resulted in me spending hours meticulously moving each road edge to line up with the parcel edges. Originally I intended to show the elevation within the neighborhood. Unfortunately, what I perceive as decent elevation changes is not enough for ArcGIS's interpolation tools to show any change within my neighborhood. So you'll just have to take my word for it: the neighborhood is not flat. Basically, wherever you see trees is where there are steep slopes. Do you see my inset map? I wanted to make that the larger map and show some of the nearby amenities. After some debating (with myself) and some helpful feedback from my peers, I arrived at the final layout instead. Those trees crashed my computer many times, I'll leave it at that.

   Overall, I'm quite pleased with how the map turned out.









No comments:

Post a Comment